It’s a weighty brand match made in marketing heaven – Nielsen and Facebook are joining forces in a “multi-year strategic alliance to help marketers better use the Internet to develop and market new products”.
Facebook has the ability to reach a ginomous global consumer network and Nielsen has the market research know-how to find out what they’re all doing and thinking.
The first product of this union is Nielsen BrandLift, which measures the effectiveness of Facebook advertising. Launched in the US this week, it takes the form of a quick survey appearing on the Facebook homepage. Questions ask about ad awareness, ad recall, message association, brand favourability and purchase consideration.
With more than 300 million Facebook uses worldwide already in its five-year exisitence, even a minute percentage response is going to provide a mountain of data.
Key US internet data as reported by Nielsen:
- Total estimated US online advertising spend was down 2% year-over-year, from an August 2008 estimated spend of $722,532,400 to an estimated spend for August 2009 of $711,442,800.
- Year-over-year, estimated online advertising spend on the top social network and blogging sites increased 119%, from approximately $49 million in August 2008 to approximately $108 million in August 2009.
- The share of estimated ad spend on the top social network and blogging sites has grown from a 7% share of total online ad spend in August 2008 to a 15% share in August 2009.
- Facebook has seen significant growth as an important website for advertising with a 14.7% share of display ad views in the US in August 2009, up from 1.8% in January 2009.
- Time spent on network and blogging sites accounted for 17% of all time spent on the internet in August 2009, nearly triple the percentage of time spent on the sector a year ago.
- In August 2009, Facebook had the 4th largest Unique Audience in the US among all web brands with 103,886,000 users.
- In August 2009, Facebook had the most time per user spent on the site among the top web brands with an average of 5 hours 46 minutes 4 seconds.