Each year, StopPress asks a group of talented professionals in the local industry for their reflections on the year that was. This year, we speak to individuals who made their mark on 2023 and brought us truly impactful work.
Grant Moreton is Managing Director of Vast Billboards, a Christchurch-headquartered company building a dynamic network of billboards throughout New Zealand in prime advertising locations. Here, we ask his thoughts on the year we just had, and what to look forward to in 2024.
If 2023 were a brand, what would its slogan be?
Building people, building brands.
How would you sum up your professional year in three words?
Navigating challenges, embracing continuous growth, and ultimately, achieving success.
Favourite Out of Home campaign this year?
Goldpine, Concoction Agency.
Boxman, OMD Christchurch.
What shifts do you foresee in the New Zealand Out of Home industry in 2024 based on 2023’s trends?
2023 has been an exciting year for recovery and growth post-COVID19 challenges; so I believe 2024 will continue to see growth for Out of Home on the back of the changing media landscape.
What was a key change that Vast Billboards made this year in response to 2023’s challenges.
Vast has invested heavily in additional experienced team members. We value the importance of building a strong, performing team to support the company’s momentum and growth.
What technology made the most impact on the Out of Home landscape this year?
The transformative impact of programmatic technology.
Programmatic has provided real benefits to Vast and the Media industry. It’s a new source of revenue that’s providing continued growth.
What is the biggest lesson you’ve learnt this year?
Do it once, do it right.
Invest in the right people.
Celebrate the wins.
Who inspired you this year and why?
The unbeatable spirit of the All Blacks. They’ve shown they have determination and courage, and have made New Zealand proud.
What are you most looking forward to working on in 2024?
With Vast poised to mark its fourth year in the industry, all the hard effort we have put in place for the last three years has laid the groundwork for a strong 2024.
We are excited to bring some unique sites to the NZ market.
Quick fire 9:
- Most impactful local campaign of 2023: University of Canterbury, The Media Department.
- Most underrated international campaign of the year: Hard question… everything I have seen has had a lot of attention.
- A news event that didn’t get the attention it deserved: The axing of The Project TV3.
- Most listened to artist of 2023: U2
- A 2023 trend you’re ready to bid farewell to: Cost of Living crisis.
- Most innovative use of social media in a campaign this year: I don’t have social media…
- Most bingeable TV series of 2023: The Crown
- Biggest flop of 2023: Air New Zealand flight: AKL to JFK Flight
- Best piece of advice you’ve been given: The harder you work, the luckier you get.