Wrestler Studios has created and released an eight-part web series called ‘Self Help’ which comically explores one man’s journey to being a better being.
The series follows main character Nikau as he struggles to find healing, growth and self-acceptance in the wake of a devastating breakup.
“We never got into this game to make just ads. We got into it to be creative, tell stories and hopefully use that creativity to do some good,” says Wrestler Founders and Self Help Executive Producers, Kat Lintott and Ben Forman.
“Creating Self Help was an opportunity to further explore and push our creativity and satisfy our curious minds, and reinforces what Wrestler is all about for our clients and team – making content that impacts the real world.”
Each mini-episode delves into a new practice or programme in Nikau’s sometimes-reluctant journey of personal, spiritual, physical and psychological self-improvement.
The world of Self Help is full of humour and pathos, warmth and humanity, surrealism and ennui — expertly crafted by writers and co-creators Kris Hermansson and Grace Palmer, and co-directed by Malaysian Kiwi Michelle Ang and Rawiri Jobe (Ngāti Tamaterā, Ngāti Huia, Ngāti Raukawa).
From float tanks to exercise, hallucinogenic to pottery, Self Help reflects the hardwired need in all of us to believe in some kind of magic and wonder, even in our technologically connected world.
Wrestler Studios is the original content arm of Wellington creative agency Wrestler.
KEY PRODUCTION CREDITS
- Created and written by: Grace Palmer & Kris Hermansson
- Directors: Michelle Ang & Rawiri Jobe
- Executive Producers: Paul Yates, Kat Lintott, Ben Forman
- Producers: Kate Goodwin, Kat Lintott
- Associate Producers: Hannah McOwan, Michelle Ang
- Director of Photography: Matt Henley and Aline Tran
- Production Designer: Kate Logan
- Editor & Colourist: Paul Wedel
- Edit Assist: Ben Cushman
- Sound Design: Trent Williams
- Title Design: Michelle Nordal Santos
- Costume Designer: Daisy Marcuzzi
- Casting Director: R and R casting