Last week, the Verizon Media Academy Masterclass returned for 2021, providing free career training for the media and marketing industry from luminaries including world-renowned brand innovator Cindy Gallop.
The virtual series kicked off on March 25 with a live workshop from Gallop, ‘Blow it up: Re-making the industry for the better’.
The TED speaker and Make Love Not Porn CEO says: “I was very excited to be opening this series and leading a thought-provoking but above all actionable masterclass. After such a whirlwind of a year there’s so much opportunity right now to reinvent our industry for the better.”
The fortnightly programme – continuing through April and May – features inspirational speakers including former One Green Bean CEO turned Executive Coach Claire Salvetti, Verizon Media’s Global Chief Business Officer Ivan Markman, Executive Media Coach Catriona Dixon and Head of Brand and RYOT Studio ANZ Zoe Cocker.
Topics include overcoming imposter syndrome, empathetic leadership skills, harnessing creativity and tech, and communicating like a pro.
Managing Director at Verizon Media ANZ, Paul Sigaloff, says: “Last year when we opened our Masterclass series to the public in the spirit of inclusivity we received overwhelming demand. Being able to use the global reach of the Verizon Media brand to bring these talented speakers to local audiences has been an incredibly rewarding experience.
“We’re very excited to be back again this year with even more incredible speakers like Cindy Gallop and continuing our commitment to building up industry education in an inclusive way.”
In addition, Verizon revealed the 44 future leaders selected into this year’s Verizon Media Academy Class of 2021.
Sigaloff says they had an impressive response with over 170 nominations from senior leaders across Australia and New Zealand.
The class features young talent from across the Australian and New Zealand media landscape including Hearts & Science, OMD, The Warehouse Group and Wavemaker. Delegates will receive exclusive training, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Class of 2021 New Zealand attendees:
● Ashlee Choi – MBM
● Blaine Hudson – The Warehouse Group
● Chris Young – PHD
● Claudine Gregg – PHD Media
● Jenny Fulton – Wavemaker
● Jesse Knight – Carat
● Lauren Kennaway – Hearts & Science NZ
● Sam Masterton – OMD
Suzie Thompson, Group Business Director at dentsu, says: “We may be a small country but we’ve got some mighty talent on our shores. Verizon Media Academy is such a great opportunity for rising stars like Jesse [Knight] to learn from international industry talent and build relationships with other emerging leaders across the world.
“Dentsu is proud to once again be involved in the programme and support an initiative that aligns with our commitment to foster promising young professionals. I’m personally also looking forward to tuning into the Masterclass series and learning some invaluable lessons from such a high calibre of international talent.”
Verizon Media Academy Masterclass Series 2021 schedule:
● 9am AEDT / 11am NZDT Thursday March 25 – Blow it up: Re-making the industry for the better with Cindy Gallop – World Class Brand Innovator
● 3pm AEST / 5pm NZDT Thursday April 15 – Drop the spin and get comfortable in your skin with Claire Salvetti – Executive Coach and PR Leader
● 9am AEST / 11am NZDT Thursday April 29 – Managing your career like a business with Ivan Markman – Global Chief Business Officer
● 9am AEST / 11am NZDT Thursday May 13 – Talk like a boss: Leadership Communication with Catriona Dixon – media and presentation training
● 9am AEST / 11am NZDT Thursday May 27 – How to create innovative ideas people love with Zoe Cocker, Head of RYOT Studios
Register for the rest of the series here.