Fraser Gardyne graduated from design school in 1976, was a director at Designworks for ten years, has worked closely with a massive range of Kiwi businesses and, as a result of his committed service to clients and the industry, was awarded the coveted Black Pin at last year’s Best Design Awards. Here’s some of the goods, bads and uglies of 2011 as seen through his eyes.
2) Favourite campaign that is yours: The City LINK, Inner LINK and Outer LINK bus route brand development for Auckland Transport.
3) Least favourite campaign: The Z Energy brand.
4) Best brand: Globally, Apple. Locally, Air New Zealand.
5) Best stoush: Can I change this to worst stoush? DB’s Radler. I loved Boundary Road Brewery’s “Fine, we won’t call it a radler then” billboard. The start of the rot, followed by Fonterra and vintage cheese.
6) Heroes: Clients who hire experts and listen to advice. Thanks for letting us do good work for you. You deserve and will get the best.
7) Villains: Micromanagers and people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Don’t try and drag us down to your level.
8) Most memorable marketing moment: The opening ceremony for the Rugby World Cup.