Every year, StopPress asks players in the local industry for their reflections on the marketing year that was. Here’s what Kamran Kazalbash, head of marketing at CX, Pak’nSave and Four Square, had to say.
1. What is your favourite local campaign that isn’t yours – NZ Post Christmas TVC. Great music, brilliant casting and lots of warm fuzzies.
2. What is your favourite campaign that is yours – Our “Ruck Me, That’s Low Prices” billboard for the Rugby World Cup, compliments and complaints in equal measure.
3. What is your favourite international campaign – Anything that Guinness Beer does, always true to their brand
4. What is your least favourite campaign – Any of the Magnus Benrow Radio spots
5. What is your own biggest success in 2019? – An amazing year of recognition; Sustained Success EFFIE, Grand EFFIE and the Brand Axis – Stickman’s had a busy year.
6. For you, what is the most significant launch/innovation/thing of the year? For me, F45 (but like Crossfit, I don’t like to talk about it)
7. What should be un-invented? Reality TV and Brexit
8. What do you think is the lamest trend? Trying to target millennials…
9. What are your best brands? PAK’nSAVE, 4 Square, Pams and New World.
10. Best stoush for you this year? Moving client-side to Foodstuffs New Zealand
11. Who are the Heroes? Peter Field, Les Binet, Johnathan Pie and Stickman (of course)
12. Who are the Villains? Boris Johnson
13. What died in 2019? ‘Great’ Britain
14. What’s the biggest mistake marketers will make in 2020? Continuing to make disposable advertising, that runs a few times and then gets tossed out because it didn’t work
15: If there were no laws for 24 hours, what would you do? Hide…