The finalists for the 41st edition of the annual One Show Awards, regarded as one of the most prestigious in the world, have been announced, and Kiwi agencies have been acknowledged as finalists in 20 of the categories listed.
This year, the show received almost 22,000 entries from 63 countries, and these were then whittled down to 1,229 finalists (from 463 agencies) by a panel of international judges. These finalists were then subdivided into five categories: advertising (459 finalists), interactive (372 finalists), design (172 finalists), branded entertainment (69 finalists) and intellectual property (23 finalists). Each of these finalists will now have to wait until 9 May, when the winners will be announced during a ceremony at Lincoln Centre in New York City. (The silver and bronze pencil winners will be announced at a range of events during Creative Week, which runs from 5 to 9 May).
As was the case last year, Clemenger and Colenso received the most nominations among the Kiwi agencies.
Clemenger BBDO’s work for the New Zealand Transport Agency once again caught the attention an awards judging panel, with Expert Opinion (one nomination), Blazed (two nominations) and Mistakes (two nominations) each being listed as finalists under the advertising category.
While Clemenger had the highest number of finalists in the advertising category, the strongest Kiwi performer, in terms of nominations across the competition, was Colenso BBDO/Proximity New Zealand, which received six finalist nods for Trail by Timeline for Amnesty International (three), the Smartphone Line for Samsung (two) and Instant News Satire for Samsung (one).
As with the other awards shows that have occurred over the last few months, Saatchi and Saatchi NZ’s Beer Plumber campaign was also among the finalists, receiving a nomination in the verbosely titled ‘Digital Direct Marketing – Social Media & Viral Marketing’ category.
And the creative relationship between Saatchi and Saatchi NZ and DB Breweries delivered in another category, because the agency also received a nomination in the ‘Radio – Consumer – Campaign’ category for its work on Tui Dark.
Whybin\TBWA, FCB, .99, Y&R NZ, Alt Group, DDB and Shine completed the list of Kiwi finalists, who will have to wait until 9 May to see who gets a page in this year’s edition of the One Show magazine.
Interestingly, Shine was the only Kiwi agency to be nominated in the Intellectual Property and Products category, with its Beck’s Edison Bottle for Lion up for consideration for a pencil.
Full list of Kiwi nominations:
Five nominations: Clemenger BBDO
- Expert Opinion for the New Zealand Transport Agency in the ‘Video Craft: Scriptwriting’ category
- Blazed for the New Zealand Transport Agency in the Video Craft: Scriptwriting category
- Blazed for the New Zealand Transport Agency in the ‘Public Service/Political Video – Television – Single’ category
- Mistakes for the New Zealand Transport Agency in the ‘Public Service/Political Video – Cinema’ category
- Mistakes for the New Zealand Transport Agency in the ‘Public Service/Political Video – Television – Single’ category
Four nominations: Colenso BBDO/Proximity New Zealand
- Trial by Timeline for Amnesty International in the ‘Digital Direct Marketing – Social Media & Viral Marketing’ category.
- Trial by Timeline for Amnesty International in the ‘Digital Direct Marketing – Websites, Microsites & Banners’ category
- The Smartphone Line for Samsung in the ‘Outdoor – Digital/Electronic’ category
- Instant News Satire for Samsung in the ‘E-Publication Ads – Single’ category
Two nominations: Saatchi & Saatchi NZ
- Beer Plumber for DB Breweries in the ‘Digital Direct Marketing – Social Media & Viral Marketing’ category
- Tui Dark for DB Breweries in the ‘Radio – Consumer – Campaign’ category
One nomination: FCB, Y&R NZ and DDB NZ
- FCB – Food Photos Save Lives for UNICEF in the ‘Digital Direct Marketing – Social Media & Viral Marketing’ category
- Y&R NZ – Left Hand Radio for Avis Budget in the ‘Innovation in Radio’ category
- DDB NZ – Be the Artist for Lion in the ‘Consumer Television – 60-second Single’ category
- .99 – Journal resource for cancer patients for Leukaemia & Blood Cancer NZ in the ‘Public Service Promotional Items’ category
- Alt Group – New Zealand Opera for New Zealand Opera in the ‘Brand Identity – Campaign’ category
- Whybin\TBWA – Meeting of the Minds for Minds for Minds in the ‘Public Service – Collateral Design’ category
- Colenso BBDO/Proximity New Zealand – The Smartphone Line for Samsung in the ‘Social Media – Best Integrated Campaign Led by Social’ category
- Colenso BBDO/Proximity New Zealand – Trial by Timeline for Amnesty International in the ‘Best Use of a Social Media Network’ category
Intellectual property category:
- Shine and Gyro Constructivists – The Beck’s Edison Bottle for Lion in the ‘Intellectual Property and Products – Experimental/Internal Projects/ R&D’ category
Click here to see the full list of nominations.