Government budget hearings today saw the reveal of a $1.3 million package to help support the New Zealand media sector.
The package itself it set up to help media in response to the affects Covid-19 had on the sector.
The initiative itself will fund subscriptions or memberships from news services on behalf of 32 government departments and four departmental agencies for the 2020/2012 year.
Run by the Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage (MCH), the initiative serves to reach media organisations that it the following criteria;
- Are New Zealand independent national news sources that provide public interest journalism via a subscription or membership service
- Have been impacted by COVID-19 and have taken steps to address that impact.
Note – the below target dates are subject to change.
- Applications open: 13 May – 22 May
- Applications assessed: 25 May – 29 May 2020
- Applicants advised of the outcome of their application and subscriptions purchased by MCH: 2 June – 5 June 2020
- Subscription allocated to Government Departments: 2 June – 12 June 2020
Once a media company has established if it is eligible to take part in the initiative (see the eligibility criteria above) complete the Application Form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm 22 May 2020.