The awards, now in their 22nd year, are organised by the Designers Institute of New Zealand and aim to recognise New Zealand’s best designs across the categories of product, graphic and spatial design.
Che Tamahori, managing director at Auckland interactive design agency Shift and judging convenor of the new interactive design category, says the time was right for interactive to have its own standalone section in the awards.
“The New Zealand interactive industry has really come of age over the past couple of years,” says Tamahori. “By breaking interactive design out from the graphics category where it has been for a number of years, it enables us as an industry to address and celebrate the quality and breadth of work coming out of this burgeoning sector.”
The new interactive section includes six subcategories:
- TIME BASED GRAPHICS – Animated or moving image graphic design created for film, broadcast, TV, internet or in-house videos
- LARGE SCALE WEBSITES – Budgets over $20,000
- SMALL SCALE WEBSITES – Budgets under $20,000
- APPLICATIONS – Kiosks, mobile applications, games, and web applications
- INTERACTIVE MARKETING – Components supporting a larger marketing campaign, including microsites, rich banners or interactive elements for existing websites
Designers wishing to enter this year’s Best Design Awards can do so online at www.bestawards.co.nz, where they’ll also find detailed information on each of the award disciplines and categories. Entries close at 5.00 pm on 9 July and the award winners will be announced on 8 October.