Kono puts its food and bev into a new branded basket

  • Brand
  • February 16, 2012
  • StopPress Team
Kono puts its food and bev into a new branded basket

Kono is already exporting its wares to 25 countries, but the Nelson-based Wakatū Incorporation's food and beverage business arm is hoping to increase that number—and its exports to Asia—after being given a big brand spruce up by Wellington agency Mission Hall. 

Wakatū was established in the 1970s to administer land assets, which make up 70 percent of its business. Its food interests, Aotearoa Seafoods, Tohu Wines and Ngatahi Horticulture, make up the remaining 30 percent and they are now collectively known as Kono (the Maori name for a basket woven out of New Zealand flax that was traditionally used to serve food).

In what has been a nine year process of brand reinvention, Wakatū began using the koru logo in 2003 on fruit exports to France and Belgium, then on mussel and wine exports to the US in 2007 and 2008. Now it exports seafood and wine to 25 countries and it plans to introduce new products under the Kono brand in the future.



The new brand colours were selected based on Asian consumers' feedback, who preferred the blue and green colours to the standard black associated with many New Zealand brands. Much like the recently refreshed Sealord logo, there is plenty of cultural symbolism in the new design, with the blue representative of the ocean and the green representative of the land. The flax leaf connecting the ‘K’ to the ‘N’ is representative of how knowledge is passed intergenerationally through families.

“This [branding] is particularly effective in China," Kono chief executive Keith Palmer says. "China is potentially the largest market for our seafood and we have established relationships and cultural similarities between our Maori way of doing business and the Chinese approach."

This is a community discussion forum. Comment is free but please respect our rules:

  1. Don’t be abusive or use sweary type words
  2. Don’t break the law: libel, slander and defamatory comments are forbidden
  3. Don’t resort to name-calling, mean-spiritedness, or slagging off
  4. Don’t pretend to be someone else.

If we find you doing these things, your comments will be edited without recourse and you may be asked to go away and reconsider your actions.
We respect the right to free speech and anonymous comments. Don’t abuse the privilege.

Whittaker's divides the court of public opinion – but all for a good cause

  • Advertising
  • February 22, 2019
  • Caitlin Salter
Whittaker's divides the court of public opinion – but all for a good cause

On Monday, Whittaker’s launched its latest novelty chocolate-lolly mash up with a chocolatey answer to retro bakesale treat coconut ice. The Coconut Ice Surprise chocolate has a twist though, 20c from each block goes to Plunket – a charity which New Zealanders agree is a worthy cause. However, to relate the chocolate to the charity, Whittaker's has built the campaign around baby gender reveal parties, causing a backlash from the public who argue gender norms have expanded beyond blue for boys and pink for girls.

Read more
Next page
Results for

StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!

©2009–2019 ICG Media. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy policy.


Contact Vernene Medcalf at +64 21 628 200 to advertise in StopPress.

View Media Kit