GrabOne gifts retailers 2000 android tablets

  • Creative
  • November 3, 2011
  • Cath Winks
GrabOne gifts retailers 2000 android tablets

GrabOne has presented its retailers with an early Christmas pressie - 2000 android tablets to redeem coupons.  It is in response to some irate Grabbies who’ve had trouble redeeming their vouchers using their phones. Seems some retailers were refusing to accept vouchers unless they’d been printed out.

“Yeah, it’s usually the bigger companies we have issues with this with – they struggle to get the message out to all employees that the iPhone is allowed,” says Shane Bradley, GrabOne’s CEO.

“Annoying – but we have lots more stuff coming out before year's end to help with the redemption process and one of these in particular is a game changer,” he says.

They have been looking for new ways for merchants to redeem coupons, using androids, iphones and tablets, and in the end it made the most sense to simply hand them out the retailer, making voucher acceptance simple and quick for everyone.

They are rolling them out just in Auckland and Wellington to start with, but hope to hand them out to every single one of their retailers nation wide.

GrabOne’s next move is into instantaneous deals. “For example,” says Bradley, “you’re walking past a restaurant in Newmarket, and want some lunch, the mobile app will offer up all the deals in the vicinity, and voila – cheap lunch, bought right then and there.”

"This a game changer, none of the other daily deal group buying sites are doing anything like it,” says Bradley.

The mobile site has proved more popular than even he expected, in just 10 weeks the number of users has increased from 5,000 users to 35,000.

GrabOne recently added a Home and Garden group to their rapidly growing stable of verticals, as well as a Family sector… and they are both going great guns, according to Bradley.

“I’ve got a couple of kids myself, so it’s great to be able to sew up some deals the whole family can enjoy,” he says “With this, it means we can take the kids to the movies on a Sunday night.”

The House and Garden vertical offers up all the goods and services associated with homes, including lots of DIY gear, as well as tradespeople, with some great deals for plumbers, painters and builders, as well as items like furniture and curtains.

GrabOne has also put all the data they’ve been collecting over the last 16 months to good use. They are now in a position to personalise emails and deals for each Grabbie, depending on what they have bought, or looked at, in the past.

“There is also the ability now for users to opt out of certain deals, so they can say ‘I don’t want to receive any more hair cut deals,’ and they won’t,” says Bradley.

It also means instead of getting sent four to five different emails throughout the day, they are only sent one email, with everything they’re interested in included.

It is forward thinking like this that has seen GrabOne’s market share grow to 70 percent, leaving the six other daily deals sites scrapping over the remaining 30 percent.

This is a community discussion forum. Comment is free but please respect our rules:

  1. Don’t be abusive or use sweary type words
  2. Don’t break the law: libel, slander and defamatory comments are forbidden
  3. Don’t resort to name-calling, mean-spiritedness, or slagging off
  4. Don’t pretend to be someone else.

If we find you doing these things, your comments will be edited without recourse and you may be asked to go away and reconsider your actions.
We respect the right to free speech and anonymous comments. Don’t abuse the privilege.

Whittaker's divides the court of public opinion – but all for a good cause

  • Advertising
  • February 22, 2019
  • Caitlin Salter
Whittaker's divides the court of public opinion – but all for a good cause

On Monday, Whittaker’s launched its latest novelty chocolate-lolly mash up with a chocolatey answer to retro bakesale treat coconut ice. The Coconut Ice Surprise chocolate has a twist though, 20c from each block goes to Plunket – a charity which New Zealanders agree is a worthy cause. However, to relate the chocolate to the charity, Whittaker's has built the campaign around baby gender reveal parties, causing a backlash from the public who argue gender norms have expanded beyond blue for boys and pink for girls.

Read more
Next page
Results for

StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!

©2009–2019 ICG Media. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy policy.


Contact Vernene Medcalf at +64 21 628 200 to advertise in StopPress.

View Media Kit