Recorded Music NZ 2014 results: digital revenue on the rise while physical revenue decline continues

  • Didge
  • March 12, 2015
  • Holly Bagge
Recorded Music NZ 2014 results: digital revenue on the rise while physical revenue decline continues

Although most consumers aren't rushing out to purchase CDs anymore, the record industry is still chugging along. But, as illustrated by the latest stats from Recorded Music NZ, the revenue for the industry is increasingly coming from a very different source.     

The report, which was released earlier today indicates its key findings of the overall performance of our music industry and where revenue comes from for New Zealand recording artists, record companies and also looked at the performance of different consumption methods.

One find was that streaming continues to experience rapid growth, now representing 24 percent of all recorded music wholesale revenues by format compared to nine percent in 2013 and three percent in 2012.

According to the report, “public awareness and uptake of streaming services within New Zealand has grown significantly with streaming as a format claiming 15 per cent more of the overall revenue pie this year.”

The report says that digital services still remain the number one revenue source of revenue rights for owners accounting for 60 percent of all music sales by format, with physical music products accounting for the remaining 40 percent of the market, decreasing from 49 percent in 2013 and 58 percent in 2012.

One of Recorded Music NZ’s main findings was that music income sources are now more diversified, splitting into four sectors: physical product downloads, streaming, public performance and broadcast.

Recorded Music NZ chief executive Damian Vaughan says the diversification of revenue sources reflects the diversification of audiences and the way they consume music.

“This year more than ever we have seen revenue spread near equally across multiple and very diverse sources,” Vaughan says “This is a direct result of fans’ ability to purchase and listen to their favourite songs in so many new varied ways – from streaming and downloads to the local record store. That makes it more important than ever for record companies and recording artists to understand who their audience is, where they are and how they are consuming music. We really are spoilt for choice when it comes to our options in New Zealand and our artists have the ability now to reach their fans in a more meaningful and targeted way.”

Overall, in 2014, the NZ Recorded Music industry saw a slight decrease of just 0.8 percent percent in annual recorded music revenues.

According to the report, vinyl album sales were up more than 200 percent compared to 2013, making up slightly more than $1 million of revenue by format. NZ Recorded Music also found that public performance and broadcast had experienced steady gradual growth year on year and physical products and digital downloads remain important revenue streams, contributing $21.4 million and $19.1 million respectively in 2014.

This is a community discussion forum. Comment is free but please respect our rules:

  1. Don’t be abusive or use sweary type words
  2. Don’t break the law: libel, slander and defamatory comments are forbidden
  3. Don’t resort to name-calling, mean-spiritedness, or slagging off
  4. Don’t pretend to be someone else.

If we find you doing these things, your comments will be edited without recourse and you may be asked to go away and reconsider your actions.
We respect the right to free speech and anonymous comments. Don’t abuse the privilege.

Is consolidation the way of the future?

  • Advertising
  • January 18, 2019
  • Caitlin Salter
Is consolidation the way of the future?

The tail end of 2018 brought with it some major announcements between media companies and the booming out-of-home market. Nearly two months since NZME and Go Media enacted their partnership and MediaWorks and QMS Media announced their proposed merger, we have a chat with media agencies to see whether the latest developments are a sign of things to come.

Read more
Next page
Results for

StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!

©2009–2019 ICG Media. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy policy.


Contact Vernene Medcalf at +64 21 628 200 to advertise in StopPress.

View Media Kit