In keeping with an ongoing tradition, a few industry players gave us their take on the year for our annual opinion harvest. Here's what Steve Kane, managing director of Y&R NZ, thought about 2014.
1. Favourite local campaign that isn't yours
Spark’s 'The Boroughs'. Beautifully executed and nice to see a big brand actually landing an idea to connect with the elusive yoof market.
2. Favourite campaign that is yours
HRV Pure Invironment Project. We turned a house into a media channel and introduced the HRV brand to a whole new audience.
3. Favourite international campaign
I thought the British Airways digital billboard that literally pointed out BA flights as they passed above was an inspired product demonstration.
4. Least favourite campaign
NZBCF Breast cream. A glib gimmick.
5. Your own biggest success
The fine people of Y&R NZ. I wouldn’t claim to take credit for their brilliance but getting to work alongside them every day is a major win.
6. Favourite magazine/website/TV show/radio show/podcast/news service/app/song/other
The McConaissance. True Detective, Wolf of Wall St, Dallas Buyers etc. That was one hell of a come back.
7. Most ridiculous buzzword
The Internet of Things.
8. Best innovation
Perhaps showing my age but the Internet Archive has just made 900 classic arcade games available to play at The Internet Arcade.
9. Most over-hyped ‘innovation’
Native advertising, to quote John Oliver, is a “trust parasite”.
10. Best brands
Whittaker's, Steinlager, Landrover, Sky TV, ANZ, Air NZ, the All Blacks.
11. Best stoush
Dotcom versus the Gummint.
Everyone involved with McDowell & Parkinsons.
The beer tap that comes through the wall into Y&R from Brothers Beer is 100 percent evil.
14. Predictions for 2015
More of a wish than a prediction, but I’d like more time to do less, better.
- According to Font's recent survey, 43 percent of marketing professionals in New Zealand are looking to change jobs next year and 65 percent will be re-evaluating career plans over the Christmas period. So check out some of the roles Font has on offer here and have a gander at the infographic based on the survey results here.