Who said Kiwi TV was boring? Host controversy, wheelbarrow mishaps and unexpected flatulence get global attention

  • TV
  • March 20, 2015
  • StopPress Team
Who said Kiwi TV was boring? Host controversy, wheelbarrow mishaps and unexpected flatulence get global attention

It's been exciting times at MediaWorks in recent months, with big restructures in the business and man-slaughterers, fraudsters, bullies and drink drivers featuring on TV. Across at TVNZ, there hasn't been quite as much drama and its new reality format Our First Home has been plodding along rather than taking the nation by storm, but one moment has made it to US clip show The Soup

Despite the wheelbarrow mishap, TVNZ's head of content Jeff Latch says that the show is tracking well in a competitive timeslot.  

"Our First Home has a series average of 362,000 viewers in the 5+ rating segment," he says.  "We’ve also had over 113,000 TVNZ OnDemand streams across the series so far plus Our First Home game has attracted over 26,000 unique users (PC and app).  We’re optimistic momentum will continue as we get closer to the grand finale and the live auctions.”  

TVNZ is also running weekly research into product placement in and around the show and Latch says that commercial partners have been pleased with the integration.

“We’re getting great feedback from our partners who are pleased not just with their in-show integration but across the Our First Home website, game, social and their ‘out of show’ licensing activity.”

Compared with the first 18 episodes of the most recent season of The Block NZ, Our First Home is attracting a smaller audience. However, it is worth noting that The Block NZ has built up momentum over the last three years, while this is the first outing for TVNZ's new series.


The three houses in Our First Home that have been renovated are now up for sale via show sponsor Barfoot & Thompson, and TVNZ will hope that the show gains some more momentum heading into the final 12 episodes of the series.  

In other TV-related news, The Bachelor NZ kicked off this week. And while it didn't match the X Factor in terms of controversy, The Bachelor NZ also got some attention because of some unexpected flatulence. 

And judging by Google Trends information, it appears that those who missed the moment took to the internet to see the good-looking reality stars share the awkward moment, leading to a major spike in searches for the word 'fart'. 



This is a community discussion forum. Comment is free but please respect our rules:

  1. Don’t be abusive or use sweary type words
  2. Don’t break the law: libel, slander and defamatory comments are forbidden
  3. Don’t resort to name-calling, mean-spiritedness, or slagging off
  4. Don’t pretend to be someone else.

If we find you doing these things, your comments will be edited without recourse and you may be asked to go away and reconsider your actions.
We respect the right to free speech and anonymous comments. Don’t abuse the privilege.

Wish I was there: Contiki's quid-pro-quo approach to working with influencers

  • Advertising
  • October 27, 2016
  • Erin McKenzie
Wish I was there: Contiki's quid-pro-quo approach to working with influencers

Social media stars and influencers are so hot right now, with brands across the world paying sometimes eye-watering sums to have nouveau celebs promote their products. And while this is something of a recent fad, 54-year-old Contiki built its brand on this approach long before it became fashionable. We talk to marketing director Tony Laskey about its latest influencer based campaigns, building relationships and why influencers work so well for Contiki.

Read more
Next page
Results for

StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!

©2009–2015 Tangible Media. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy policy.


Contact Vernene Medcalf at +64 21 628 200 to advertise in StopPress.

View Media Kit