The hair is being groomed and the guitars are being tuned for tonight's Beatles-themed Battle of the Ad Bands at the Kings Arms, and while the winner of the last two year's events, Barnes, Catmur & Friends' Friends Electric, is out of the running this year (all the members are thought to be pursuing solo projects after a huge falling out, with Daniel Barnes going through his Sting phase and focusing on the lute), it's an opportune moment to show off the saucy full-length music video the band made as part of its prize from its win in 2012.
As well as 50 gallons of personalised ice cream and the use of a fancy car, Friends Electric was also given a recording session with Liquid at Neil Finn's Roundhead Studios and had a music video filmed by Fish n Clips. And Fish's executive producer James Moore says it's the first time an agency has actually got their shit together to do it.
The band decided to swap their guitars for synthesisers, their Bowie and Iggy records for Kraftwerk and Giorgio Moroder, and re-emerged as Friends Electronic with the single BM2N (they released a teaser last year and the full music video was released in June).
"What can I say, they're going through their Berlin period," said the band's manager and bouncer Paul Catmur at the time.
Moore sent through some assorted facts about the tune (which you can download here) and the video, which was filmed on K Road.
- The track has picked up airplay on bFM and George FM, much to the surprise of the band and their fellow staff members.
- The video has had local channel airplay but was judged "too risqué" for Air New Zealand.
- It has received rave reviews from well known rock critics, such as the lead singer's mum.
- Catmur's dog George Jnr thought it was all a nice change from a day out in the boat.
- No BC&F staff have given up their day jobs as yet.
- Dave Dobbyn is rumoured to consider it "not too shabby".
As for tonight's event, which has become renowned as one of the most entertaining events on the advertising calendar, eight agencies are taking part this year and they will all be trying to impress the judges Jacquie Brown, Murray Grindley and Otis Frizell. Once aga
- Pegasus and The Job Numbers – Colenso BBDO
- The Gypsy Thieves – DDB
- Foote Cone – FCB
- Building 7 - Flying Fish
- OG Villains – Ogilvy & Mather
- The Chased – OMD
- The Expendables 5 – Sugar & Partners, along with String Theory
- Dooya - WhybinTBWA/DAN
This year, BOTAB has adopted The New Zealand Music Foundation as its official charity and the foundation will be auctioning off three prizes on the night involving Neil Finn, Justin Timberlake, Simon Gault and Dave Dobbyn to raise funds.
Sponsors include Citroen, Apex Insurance, Hauraki Radio, Liquid Studios, Mandy VFX, Fuzed, Asahi, Prego & Much Moore Ice Cream.