Fairfax feels the fear, rings changes to prepare for multi-platform future

  • Digital
  • November 24, 2010
  • Josh Gale
Fairfax feels the fear, rings changes to prepare for multi-platform future

Fairfax Media has announced it will be making some sizable changes to its organisational structure in an effort to adapt and prosper in a world where convergent, digital and multi-platform media rules the day. But the New Zealand media operations, it seems, won't really be affected.

In what seems to be a fairly logical decision, given the the fact that humans are increasingly getting their news digitally, one of the major structural changes in Australia will be merging Fairfax’s print and online operations into one business unit, to be called the Metropolitan media unit. There will be a eight other separate business units, which is a reduction of two from the current 11. Once Kiwi-owned auction website TradeMe and Digital Transactions have got the call-up. New Zealand Media remains as a separate entity.

Brian McCarthy, Fairfax Media’s global chief executive, said the changes come after a comprehensive review of its Austalasian operations.

“Media companies around the world are facing unprecedented change in technology, consumer behaviour and market fragmentation [check this graph out to see some evidence of that],” he said in a statement. “These are exciting times for media and in order to take full advantage of them, Fairfax is embracing change to become a truly integrated, multi-platform company.”

However, the changes affect Australia more than New Zealand, says Fairfax Media New Zealand chief executive Allen Williams.

“The bulk of the changes envisaged in this new organisational structure will apply to Fairfax’s metropolitan publishing business in Australia. New Zealand publishing will not be changed in any substantive way,” he says.

This may be the case, but the purpose of the changes is to “take advantage of the myriad opportunities presented by the multi-platform world”, says McCarthy, who then adds this includes charging for content “wherever possible, particularly for online and emerging platforms”.

“The jury is still out as to whether pay walls will work for general news,” McCarthy told BusinessDay.com.au. “But those sites attract strong advertising revenues and are also important drivers for our transactional businesses. Charging for online and mobile content is one of the most hotly debated issues in the media today, and there is not one media company to date which has been able to develop a 'catch all' solution."

News International figures released recently claimed a "total paid audience" of 200,000 for UK newspapers The Times and The Sunday Times after a paywall was implemented in July. It said the signs were 'encouraging' and showed large numbers of people were willing to pay for quality journalism. Not surprisingly, a few of its 'get your news for free' competitors thought otherwise and didn't believe the figures added up to a new business model.

Charging for online content is a change that would affect both Australia and New Zealand. And, with McCarthy's soundbites, it sounds like it could be on the cards. So, what do you think? To pay or not to pay?

This is a community discussion forum. Comment is free but please respect our rules:

  1. Don’t be abusive or use sweary type words
  2. Don’t break the law: libel, slander and defamatory comments are forbidden
  3. Don’t resort to name-calling, mean-spiritedness, or slagging off
  4. Don’t pretend to be someone else.

If we find you doing these things, your comments will be edited without recourse and you may be asked to go away and reconsider your actions.
We respect the right to free speech and anonymous comments. Don’t abuse the privilege.

Kiwi entrepreneur looks to shake up the recruitment market with video CVs

  • Tech
  • September 27, 2016
  • Erin McKenzie
Kiwi entrepreneur looks to shake up the recruitment market with video CVs

Earlier this month, a young Auckland professional made headlines for using Facebook to try and land his dream job. Edward McKnight used ads on the social media site to target ASB staff as a way of applying for the role of youth and innovation sponsorship manager at the bank. And while McKnight has yet to be offered a job at ASB, it’s a sign that the traditional recruitment process of sending in a CV and crossing your fingers may be in for a shake-up. Hoping to do just that is the new recruitment platform PreviewMe. Set to have its beta version go live early next month, the website hopes to reduce the pain points of both candidates and employers by introducing video to the recruitment process.

Read more
Next page
Results for
Topics
Jobs
About

StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!

©2009–2015 Tangible Media. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy policy.

Advertise

Contact Vernene Medcalf at +64 21 628 200 to advertise in StopPress.

View Media Kit