A radio stunt giving away an all-expenses paid divorce on Valentine's Day on The Rock FM has backfired in spectacular fashion on the shock jocks behind it. Notorious pranksters Robert Taylor and Jono Pryor, ran the 'win a divorce' competition on Valentines Day, despite a raft of negative media attention both here and overseas. A listener could win the divorce on condition they broke up with their unsuspecting spouse live on air. But it was a lesbian couple who had the last laugh, sabotaging the competition and turning on the presenters, leaving them speechless for the first time.
In the lead-up to yesterday's call, a woman put herself forward to win the divorce saying she had been thinking of getting a divorce for a while, and thought this was a good opportunity as she could not afford to hire a divorce lawyer.
"It's my life and people can think what they want but it's my happiness."
Sam was prepared to let the hosts off the hook, offering them a sporting chance to pull out before the call was made yesterday.
"I want to, I want to pull out right now to be honest," Pryor said.
Sam had told the radio station her husband's name was Andy, so when a woman picked up the phone, the hosts were left wondering if they had the right number.
"No, this isn't Andy. It's never going to be Andy. It wasn't Andy to start with you f***ing idiots," said a woman who then says she is Sam's civil union wife, Amber.
"So how does it feel you two - how does it feel like, being on the other end of something?
"We sabotaged you, you dickheads."
Sam felt so appalled by the competition she said she just couldn't let it happen to someone else. Pryor admitting it was it was a genius move.
"I feel like I'm in an episode of Scooby Doo and we're finally figuring out how you caught us out and we would have got away with it if it wasn't for you dastardly lesbians."
Taylor said "You shot us in the arse. You got us fair and square."
Sam said the listeners who supported the competition aren't very intelligent and "Have got no ethics or morals."
Comments on The Rock's Facebook page have been mixed, with most critical of the gay couple, saying they felt "let down".
- Robinson: I just watched a two minute segment about this stunt on Nightline, go The Rock marketing team, you couldn't have bought that exposure!
- Rogan Josh: Whoever was the marketing genius that thought this one up, you should get a raise! Well done - great publicity for the station and its gone global! The rock just owned us all! That's why I love you guys - Rock On!
- Latora Lyn Cattley commented: "Wowwwwwwww. What a dick move by Sam! If people want to get divorced it's up to them to make up their mind. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't enter the comp."
- Shane Winders: "Civil union?......nothing civil bout that at all, what a let down.
- Craig Whyte: brings new meaning to the phrase "angry beaver"
- Matt Weldon-Smith: "Loved it! So funny that they got caught out".