The Maggies judges have spoken and the covers they have deemed to be the country's best will now fight it out for top honours in their respective categories, plus the coveted overall cover of the year award, as they go up for a public vote over the next five weeks at www.themaggies.co.nz.
"Once again the Maggies attracted a very diverse range of entries across the categories," says John McClintock, executive director of the Magazine Publishers Association New Zealand and chair of the judging panel. "Judges continue to be impressed with the photographic and design skill that produces such arresting covers. With covers being a critical element in the manner in which editors deliver the title to their readers, it is evident that competition in cover design will remain very strong in our market."
- Check out and vote for the shortlisted covers here.
Dish and NZ Adventure dominated the food and sports categories respectively with three covers each, while Idealog got two in the business and trade category (along with NZ Marketing's 'National Blank' cover). Good, which won the main award last year, is back again in the lifestyle section.
The overall winner and individual category winners will be announced late November 2012.
The public will be incentivised to vote for their favourite magazine cover with a reward of a $5 iSubscribe gift voucher. The voucher may be redeemed against its entire range of over 400 magazine subscriptions. In addition, $1 from every subscription sold using the iSubscribe gift vouchers will be donated to The New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation.
A panel judges gathered to select a shortlist of five covers per category from the nominated entries. This panel included:
- Andrew Burge, CEO & Founder of iSUBSCRiBE Pty Ltd
- Lindsey Dawson, creator of three major women’s titles in New Zealand More, Grace and Next and winner of the MPA Lifetime Achievement Award 2009
- Jude Dobson, TV Presenter and Producer
- Rachel Glucina, New Zealand Herald Columnist
- Gideon Keith, Creative Director at Strategy Auckland
- John McClintock, Executive Director of the MPANZ
- Paula Ryan, founder of Fashion Quarterly and Simply You and winner of the MPA Lifetime Achievement Award 2010
Business & Trade
- Idealog (May/June 2012)
- Idealog (July/Aug 2011)
- New Zealand Doctor (9 May 2012)
- NZRetail (Sept 2011)
- NZ Marketing (May/June 2012)
Food & Wine
- Dish (April/May 2012)
- Dish (Aug/Sept 2011)
- Dish (June/July 2012)
- Healthy Food Guide (March 2012)
- New Zealand’s Best Dining Guide (Issue 9 2012)
- Eye Magazine (June 2012)
- Good (Jul/Aug 2011)
- NZ House & Garden (April 2012)
- The Australian Women’s Weekly NZ (June 2012)
- Urbis (April 2012)
- AA Directions (March 2012)
- Antarctic (June 2012)
- Diabetes (Autumn 1 June 2012)
- Energy NZ (Nov 2011)
- New Zealand Geographic (Mar/April 2012)
- New Zealand Adventure Magazine (April 2012)
- New Zealand Adventure Magazine (Dec 2011)
- New Zealand Adventure Magazine (June 2012)
- New Zealand Golf Magazine (Dec 2011)
- NZ Rugby World – RWC Special (August 2011)