The crowd was blasted into submission by an array of powerful riffs, extreme hip gyration and unparalled musical virtuosity last week at the Battle of the Ad Bands, which was eventually won by TBWA\'s talented three-piece Virgin Galactic. Sadly, it was too loud and awesome for our so-called 'smartphone' to effectively record the live action, but we've got the next best thing: gig photos, thanks to photographer Dallas Pickering.
If you're yearning for more, you can can find all the photos from the night here on BOTAB's Facetube page. And video from the Flying Fish camp is expected this week.
Full winners' list:
Overall winner: Virgin Galactic, Whybin /TBWA
- Share drive of the brand new Audi A1 for a month, courtesy of Audi
- A lunch worth $500 at Prego, from CAANZ & Flying Fish
Best original: Virgin Galactic, Whybin /TBWA – Broken Bricks
- Recording of original song thanks to Liquidstudios
- A music video produced by Flying Fish
- A publishing deal from Native Tongue Music Publishing, who will represent the winning song to advertisers, film producers and television producers worldwide.
Best cover: The Chased, OMD – I am the Walrus
Best wildcard: The Chased, OMD – I don’t like Mondays
- $500 lunch at Ponsonby Street Bistro, courtesy of CAANZ & Flying Fish
Best jingle: The Foul Hooks, Flying Fish – Auckland Glass
- A half day’s audio post session to vamp up freelance or agency work, followed by a $500 lunch at Café Hanoi in Britomart, thanks to Envy Studios.
Marsden Inch Super Group: Each winner took home a large bottle of Jack Daniels & a ukulele, from Marsden Inch Recruitment.
Vocalist: Daniel Barnes - Friends Electric, Barnes, Catmur & Friends; Guitarist: ‘The guy in the cap’ Harmen Kamsteeg – The Stink, DraftFCB; Drummer: Michael Te Young – The Chased, OMD: Alt Instrument ‘The guy on the bongos’ Dave Munn – The College Thrills, Colenso BBDO / Aim Proximity; Costume: ‘The B-52 Chicks’ Eloise Jack & Harriet McDonald – The College Thrills, Colenso BBDO / Aim Proximity; X – Factor: ‘The chick in the sparkly dress’ Bex Riley – The Hathaways, Ogilvy.
Bourbon & jagermeister on the door, from Radio Hauraki & ZM; Burger bucks, courtesy of Burger King; two $500 bar tabs from Marsden Inch Recruitment; MC: Dave Gibson; Judges: Matt Heath, Ashley Page, Sarah Gandy