We are looking for a Senior Copywriter who exudes creative entrepreneurship and strives to provoke greatness; in their work, in themselves and in our clients.
So, who are we after?
At Clemenger BBDO, you will be responsible for developing outstanding creative concepts and executions which sell the client’s product, service or desired behaviour change.
In this senior creative role, you report to the Creative Director and the Executive Creative Director. You’ll also work in an equal partnership with a Copywriter or other team members when required. As a team, you’ll jointly create work that not only answers the brief and helps to solve the client’s business problem, but also lives up to the BBDO mantra of ‘The Work. The Work. The Work’. That means that the idea is truly original and inspiring and completed to a high standard.
The Copywriter is largely responsible for all written components of the work in collaboration with an Art Director and CD/ECD. The Copywriter is expected to craft the tone and execution of the written elements of the work, from concepting through to completion.
What makes this role unique?
You will have the opportunity to work across a variety of projects, which means you will be able to work on challenging creative projects to really hone your craft and feel fulfilled in your role. Outwardly we are a large established agency, but we always work in close cohesion with each other, without being bogged down by a tall hierarchy and status quo.
Key Skills & Responsibilities
Ideation and Craft
• Take briefs from Business Leads and CD/ECD.
• Implement strategy and direction from the brief and the CD/ECD and provide copywriting expertise in generating exceptional executions.
• Translate creative strategies into innovative selling ideas (storyboards, layouts, dummy packages, animatics, etc.).
• Solve our clients’ toughest challenges with commercial creativity.
• Generate work that not only wins Creative and Effectiveness awards, but changes culture.
• Take risks and think beyond the ordinary. Strive to be unimaginably original.
• Demonstrate an ability for compelling and captivating writing.
• Show excellence with the English language.
• Understand marketing and creative strategies for assigned brands.
• Work effectively alongside internal teams ensuring work is delivered to a high standard.
• Demonstrate great judgement and sound decision making, and the ability to see the big picture.
• Utilise the knowledge and experience of creative superiors/mentors.
• Have practical knowledge of the range of skills required to produce a piece of work.
• Earn the respect of clients and maintain healthy and productive relationships with them.
• Understand intimately what our clients’ business challenges are and what we are doing to solve them.
• Lead presentations with client, either with or without a CD/ECD present. Discuss work fluently, persuasively and passionately with the client.
• Take responsibility for the work being delivered on time and in its best possible form.
• Have an understanding of, and a respect for, the clients’ and agency’s budgets.
• Complete timesheets accurately and on time.
• Have an eye for growing existing clients and for new business opportunities.
• Take responsibility for your own performance and development. This includes drafting goals, preparing for performance discussions, contributing to performance discussions and recording the discussion summaries.
• Mentor within the creative department to help strengthen the agency’s capabilities.
Internal: All departments particularly Business Leads, Strategists, Art Department, Digital, Project Managers and Production, and fellow members of the Creative Department.
External: Clients at Communications/Brand Manager level. External film and production suppliers.
How would we describe ourselves?
Our team are inquisitive, determined, hungry (not literally, there’s heaps of snacks here), and outstandingly supportive and encouraging. We win together, lose together and learn together. This creates our unbeatable culture and passion for what we do day in and day out.
We work under the philosophy of ‘Provoking Greatness’. Everything we do is focussed on being and encouraging the best; of our work, our people, and our client’s businesses.
We are a team of creative entrepreneurs, we are thinkers, we are passionate, we thrive on a challenge, we have the appetite, capacity and stamina for ground breaking work, and remain unflappable under pressure.
How to apply
If this sounds like you, and you want to work in a supportive harmonious environment then please submit your application online.
Direct applications will not be considered.
Please note: all applicants must have valid rights to work in New Zealand.
The mistake in the Ad is when he says "kurks it,"which should be "karks it."
Most entertaining ad the warehouse has done in a very long time!
I have to laugh at the "% coverage" comment. "Unfortunately for TV ads, the research found on average that the TV covers only 5 percent of the living room when viewed from a couch – meaning 95 percent of the ...
You can have a special phone number for the books so you know if people dialling that number.
Awesome. Wish my nan did this.
Honouring the ads—and the agencies responsible for them—that make the biggest impact on consumers and get more bang for the client’s buck.
Use the ICG Media network of magazines, blogs, newsletters, video and content creation services to reach the new New Zealand.
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
Contact Vernene Medcalf
Who’s it for: Biosecurity 2025 by Clemenger BBDO
Why we like it: This evocative spoken letter to all New Zealanders is an effective reminder of the nation’s collective responsibility to protect our natural resources. With many of our native birds down to critical numbers and diseases threatening our unique flora, this ad serves its purpose as memorable and impactful.
Who’s it for:Summerset by FCB
Why we like it: Retirement comes in all shapes and sizes, and we love how this ad doesn’t shy away from the vitality of our senior citizens. It does so without the usual stereotypes of old age and presents the villages as genuinely enticing places to live.
Who’s it for:Living Green by BC&F Denstu
Why we like it: It’s no secret that kids are smarter than we give them credit for and this ad reminds us of what it’s like to be a kid. It’s funny and cute and gets the message across of keeping children safe when choosing cleaning products.
StopPress provides essential industry news and intelligence, updated daily. And the digital newsletter delivers the latest news to your inbox twice a week — for free!