Good things take time
With so many conversation lines to be written and an identity for Re:scam to create, it’s no surprise the campaign has been in the pipeline for the past year, with over 10,000 hours of work put in by the team.
It’s a number that also reiterates the fact that Re:scam is the first of its kind and DDB wanted to get it right before putting it out to market. It was about creating a long-lasting programme rather than launching a product that never gets beyond the prototype phase.
The investment of time in the campaign was also a huge undertaking for the client and DDB commends Netsafe for sticking with it throughout the journey. However, in saying that, spending a year producing a campaign is the new reality.
Stapleton says the timing of great ideas is a far longer process and in doing so references the likes of Peter Field and Lis Binet who champion long-term brand building.
When speaking to StopPress earlier this year, Field explained his 60-40 rule, that states 60 percent of the budget should be spent on building long-term, brand-driven success while the remaining 40 percent should be spent on short-term activation.
“You can look at campaigns across a number of metrics for success, long-term success, and always you come to the same conclusion: it was the ones that did the 60-40 balance that were the top achievers,” he explained. “So there seems to be some real robustness in it.”
Field went on to explain that creativity takes time to deliver the full benefits.
For the agency, this means it may appear to have crashed, or not be working on anything when really it’s just busy cooking.
“We’ve always admired agencies like Wieden + Kennedy where I don’t think you always have the volume, but if you do something, it’s a piece of work everybody knows,” Stapleton says. “There’s some quality to it and some robustness.”
One thing challenging that long-term thinking approach is the number of awards shows calling for new work to be displayed. In New Zealand, this can be seen in the annual Effie Awards that celebrate long-term effectiveness. When speaking to StopPress, this year’s international judge and founder of Bacon Strategy and research London Chris Baker reflected on the IPA Effectiveness Awards in the UK, which are held every two-years and are the “gold-standard in terms of rigour,” he says.
With this in mind, the local definition of effectiveness probably still relies quite heavily on a short-term interpretation in order to attract entrants every year.
For DDB, the frequency of awards shows has seen it change its approach, making a call to only enter four to five a year out of the 26 shows it would qualify for.
“If you’re going to win, win for something that has some credibility,” says Stapleton.