Rather than waiting for a client or brief to come in, Silk and Larmer say we’re “always on” for our clients because we understand the average marketing client only spends10 percent of time dealing with agencies, while the other 90 percent is given to internal priorities.
Because of this, Chemistry initiates many of the conversations it has with clients and the teamwork to deliver a continuous feed of ideas—even if they aren’t always acted on.
“No client will fire their agency because they have a tonne of ideas, but the reverse is true again and again,” Silk says, adding he and Larmer insure they’re never missing in action when the client needs them.
“I think the point of difference for us is we have made a conscious decision to be in the business, on the tools, and with our clients on a daily basis.”
Following their instincts
We’ve coined the phrase “Joined up thinking,” adds Larmer. “We use it to describe our approach to working with our clients. It means we apply our smarts in a way that connects the client’s business pain points with the customer experience applying a strategic view on how media channel, technology and data can advance its objectives. It’s an approach that has fueled our growth from day one and now we are beginning to get recognised for it."
Our performance at the recent NZDM Awards would testify to this as we picked up a record 16 awards across five clients for every aspect of our work – from strategy to creative craft."
Also setting Chemistry apart from many other agencies is the fact it doesn’t have a bigger offshore office to report to. All the ideas and direction come out of its Westhaven office, a characteristic Larmer and Silk credit to giving the agency the freedom to pave a path that best suits the relationship it has with a client. “If we want to spend two weeks on a client or a prospect, then that’s what we’ll do. We don’t need the CFO to go, that’s a lot of money,” Silk says. “It’s why we gave up network agency roles – we wanted to be working with clients, not managing Australia or New York,” adds Larmer.
In Chemistry, the team has the ability to do what it instinctively knows is right, even if that means investing unpaid time to better the relationship in the future.
“I think it’d be fair to say that we’re playing the long game,” says Silk. "It’s our client list and our agency culture that we’re proudest of."
We always wanted to be an agency that worked with clients that really valued us and whether it’s Samsung, Contact Energy, AMI and State, Sovereign, helloworld, Life Pharmacy or Unichem - they’re all really successful brands and they’ve chosen us, and that makes coming into work a lot of fun.”
Contact: Director Mike Larmer + 021 277 1345, + 09 300 0500, firstname.lastname@example.org